• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TuneInTokyo

TuneInTokyo

Retired Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

I live in Hawaii and ever since Oceanic Time Warner Cable "upgraded" to the crappy Navigator system about 9 months ago, I've been having a very frustrating and irritating problem with my DVR KICKING OFF or magically deleting 80%-90% of my SCHEDULED RECORDINGS -- which I then have to go and reschedule all of my recordings 6, 8, 10 times a day which is difficult to do when you're not home because you're at work. And even when I keep rescheduling my recordings there's still no guarantee that my scheduled recordings will stick. Which pisses me off when I schedule a bunch of movies or TV shows to record thinking I'm gonna veg out and watch a bunch of stuff I set to record only to come home and find out nothing was recorded. And it happens with every model box I get: SA 8300, Cisco 8640 or 8642, or the Samsung box.

So, now the problem has gotten so bad that in the last 10-12 weeks I've had to call customer service (don't get me started on them) countless times and exchange my DVR box 13 times and have had 9 different service technicians come to my house to try and solve the problem. But every time they come out and service my DVR box or I talk to a foreman about the issue I get the same non-answer: They've never heard of this problem before therefore it's not a problem and there is no way to fix it.

Now what makes me even more frustrated is the fact that I've done some quick online research on the problem I'm having and found that there are a lot of Time Warner customers -- some in Hawaii but mostly on the mainland who are using the same boxes and equipment -- that have been having this problem going back 3 years and there is still no answer or fix for it. Also I found out from the Cisco website that the "new" Cisco box (8640) has not been on sale for over 3 years by Cisco and has not had any maintenance updates or bug fixes for over 2 years, yet Oceanic Time Warner Cable insist these boxes are the latest and greatest.

So my question(s) to the good people of Daily Flix is: Are any of you having the same problem and, if so, how did you fix it? And in Hawaii Oceanic Cable basically has a monopoly when it comes to cable service and I don't personally know of anyone who is using another cable provider and I was wondering what are your thoughts on cable providers like Direct TV or Dish? Are their services and cable packages better or worse than Time Warner and what are the pros and cons of switching to satellite?

Thanks in advance.

Vidxden and Vidbux aren't my favorite links to use because you can't technically download them. But when there is no other link available I will use them. And when I do use them there is a way to save the file so it's just like you downloaded it but it takes a few extra steps to do that. Now I've come across more than a few people who didn't know you could do this so I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I'll share it with you folks anyway. Hope this helps.

STEP 1: Let the link fully buffer
STEP 2: Go to your Divx Temporary Folder and make sure the file is there
STEP 3: You most likely will have to close the tab after STEP 2 because you can't rename the file if it's still open
STEP 4: After you close the tab go back to your Temporary Folder and rename the file to just
.AVI instead of .AVI.PART
STEP 5: Move file to your main Divx Folder and open with VLC Player whenever you are ready to watch the video and you're done
STEP 6: If you don't have the VLC Player download it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Example: Change - Few.Options.2011.DVDRip.XViD-NFT_ns.AVI.PART
Example: To - Few.Options.2011.DVDRip.XViD-NFT_ns.AVI

#2 dest2k

dest2k

finance guru

• Retired Staff
  • 934 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

Never heard of that before. Are there settings that determine when stuff gets deleted? My junk email folder for example empties after 30 days. I have twc and i really like it but I have had nothing but good experiences. Guess i am just lucky. I know on my dvr I can see what recordings I had and the reason they were deleted (well general reasons). I haven't had direct tv or dish so not sure what the pros and cons are. Although from what I have heard direc and dish are cheaper.

#3 TuneInTokyo

TuneInTokyo

Retired Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Never heard of that before. Are there settings that determine when stuff gets deleted? My junk email folder for example empties after 30 days. I have twc and i really like it but I have had nothing but good experiences. Guess i am just lucky. I know on my dvr I can see what recordings I had and the reason they were deleted (well general reasons). I haven't had direct tv or dish so not sure what the pros and cons are. Although from what I have heard direc and dish are cheaper.

Thanks for the reply, dest2k. Yeah, the problem I'm having doesn't seem to be very common. But anyways, I know what function you're talking about, dest2k, the "recordings log" the one where it says program "deleted by user", etc. And as far as my recordings, I always set my recordings to "until I erase" and of course I always make sure I have enough space, which I do because I have the Cisco 8642 HDC which has roughly a 500gb HD which I have yet to get past 80% and I record stuff virtually every hour of the day and more when I double record.

Now I grew up with Time Warner since I was a little kid back when people used scramblers to get free channels (remember Spice channel) but I've had Time Warner Cables HD DVR for the last 7 years and the DVR has worked perfectly for the previous 6 years recording everything I set without fail. In fact, it worked so well that I didn't even know it was possible to set a recording and have it not record. So I know it has nothing to do with the way I record stuff because the problem only started about 9 months ago when Time Warner "upgraded" to the new Navigator system which I'm assuming you also had the Navigator upgrade because the mainland got it about a 12-18 months before it rolled out to Hawaii.

But let me try to be more precise with the problem I'm having. When I set a recording I know it was accepted because it turns red and I check the "scheduled recordings" list and everything I set is there on the list. Then when I check back later on, sometimes as soon as 30 minutes later, 50%-90% of my "scheduled recordings" are no longer on the list -- like I never even set them to begin with. So the "recordings log" function doesn't really help because the DVR hasn't even had the chance to record the show because it's no longer on the list so the DVR doesn't know to record it. And it doesn't matter how many times I reschedule a program to record it keeps getting kicked off. Also I've noticed there are a bunch of channels -- Sundance, IFC, Spike, Reelz, A&E, OWN, E!, Speed Channel, Velocity HD, Nat Geo and sometimes HBO and Showtime -- that will not record a scheduled recording no matter what I do. The only way I can record those channels is if I manually record a show right when it starts, which defeats the purpose of having a DVR. And yes, I've tried rebooting my DVR countless times to no avail and I've also tried moving the DVR to other rooms in my house that have a cable line and nothing has worked so far. I'm just so frustrated with this problem I fell like bashing my DVR to little pieces and mailing it back to Oceanic Cable piece by piece because I honestly don't think they give a damn about trying to fix the problem and I don't expect an answer or fix anytime soon, if ever.

As for Direct TV and Dish I just did a quick google search and found some basic prices and reviews but I'd really like to hear from people that are actually using satellite or have used satellite to get back more recent opinions.

Edited by TuneInTokyo, 04 February 2012 - 11:16 AM.

Vidxden and Vidbux aren't my favorite links to use because you can't technically download them. But when there is no other link available I will use them. And when I do use them there is a way to save the file so it's just like you downloaded it but it takes a few extra steps to do that. Now I've come across more than a few people who didn't know you could do this so I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I'll share it with you folks anyway. Hope this helps.

STEP 1: Let the link fully buffer
STEP 2: Go to your Divx Temporary Folder and make sure the file is there
STEP 3: You most likely will have to close the tab after STEP 2 because you can't rename the file if it's still open
STEP 4: After you close the tab go back to your Temporary Folder and rename the file to just
.AVI instead of .AVI.PART
STEP 5: Move file to your main Divx Folder and open with VLC Player whenever you are ready to watch the video and you're done
STEP 6: If you don't have the VLC Player download it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Example: Change - Few.Options.2011.DVDRip.XViD-NFT_ns.AVI.PART
Example: To - Few.Options.2011.DVDRip.XViD-NFT_ns.AVI

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pending

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users