12 replies to this topic

#1 Ne12

Ne12

The Multitasker

• Global
  • 11,598 posts
  • LocationOut There...

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

I'm considering installing Privitize (a free vpn) on my computer but as my computer sometimes has a mind of it's own I was wondering if anyone else is using this and if it's any good. I'm currently running Peer Block and am in general satisfied with it, but Privitize appears to give you that little extra anonymity which I would like to have. As there isn't much information on their website I was hoping maybe somebody here knows more.....

Thanks for any information/advice anyone can give me on this :)
  • Merciless and joemell like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks to all in the pirate community. It doesn't matter if you're a uploader, link hunter, downloader or whatever. Sharing IS caring! Please report dead links. :huggles:

IDLUSMWB

#2 Merciless

Merciless

Outlaw

• PipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

Did The Pirate Bay Add a Free VPN?

August 27, 2012 By VPN

Earlier today there was an article on Slashdot that suggested The Pirate Bay had launched a free VPN service called Privitize. While Privitize does exist they are not associated with TPB. The confusion is understandable since there’s privitize ads next to download links. We don’t know much about Privitize other than the service is ad-supported and requires you to install adware in the form of Babylon search bar. TorrentFreak is reporting the service didn’t work for them.

Edited by Merciless, 01 September 2012 - 03:11 AM.

• joemell likes this

#3 Ne12

Ne12

The Multitasker

• Global
  • 11,598 posts
  • LocationOut There...

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

Thanks Merc!! I had a feeling you would know more about this, you do tend know a lot about almost everything...

Going by what you replied, I should stick with Peer Block and stay far away from Privitize.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to know of any other free VPN that is "good"?
  • Merciless likes this

Thanks to all in the pirate community. It doesn't matter if you're a uploader, link hunter, downloader or whatever. Sharing IS caring! Please report dead links. :huggles:

IDLUSMWB

#4 Merciless

Merciless

Outlaw

• PipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

Thanks Merc!! I had a feeling you would know more about this, you do tend know a lot about almost everything...

Going by what you replied, I should stick with Peer Block and stay far away from Privitize.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to know of any other free VPN that is "good"?

I just used google to find that info lol :)

https://www.torproject.org/

*You can buy a VPN for about $5 a month :)

Edited by Merciless, 05 November 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#5 Ne12

Ne12

The Multitasker

• Global
  • 11,598 posts
  • LocationOut There...

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:06 AM

I just used google to find that info lol :)

Smartarse (j/k) ;)
Guess I have a little too much faith in TPB....ah well, you live and learn right :)

https://www.torproject.org/

*If you buy a VPN (about $5 a month) you can get access to 4od, BBC iplayer, Hulo, etc :)

Yeah, I've been hearing a lot about Tor and have considered it too. But a few ppl I know are skeptical to it so I haven't looked further into it (I do admit that these friends are a little "conspiracy theorists"). Maybe I will look into it a little more anyway ;)
  • Merciless likes this

IDLUSMWB

#6 thelivingdead

thelivingdead

Lone Wanderer

• Global
  • 630 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Tor's good but I wouldn't use it to download or upload. Looking up research on illegal subjects yes, but for the stuff we do no.

There is this program that is designed to handle the stuff we do. It's called i2p, but it may be little bit too advance for common users. (try it out if you haven't Merciless)

As for free VPNs, I recommend buying one. Free VPNs have crappy bandwidth.

Edited by thelivingdead, 01 September 2012 - 09:27 AM.

• Merciless and Ne12 like this

#7 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

I joined this forum so I could reply to this post.

For browsing/researching, you can use Tor or The Tor Browser Bundle with Https Everywhere installed. Https Everywhere is a firefox plugin. This will at least ensure that every site you go to will be connected to their secure encrypted page versions. Or you can just use any version of Firefox with Https Everywhere - many people find the Tor network slow. Tor will help to provide extra security if you can put up with the slow network.

As for VPN's there is another good free VPN for general use, but they don't allow torrent downloads. It's called Spotflux (fast speeds no bandwidth limit). For torrents, I use the free version of VPNDirect called VPNDirect Lite. You do have to register for free via email. Once you download the Lite version you choose the one server that's not "Premium". They offer you fast speeds and no bandwidth limit and they do work with torrents. I only have a middle of the line DSL connection operating at speeds of 3.5 MB/sec and the VPNDirect Lite server is at least this fast, takes me about 45 minutes per gigabyte. However, I think the cap for the speed is much higher. The cap would have to be at least as high as my own speed for me to still be able to download at line speeds with no loss of speed.

I use the Free VPNDirect Lite because I honestly can't afford an extra 5 bucks a month for a VPN. I find it works very well. I have also tried Privitize VPN but am leery about it because of the lack of information. You have to ask around when looking for a VPN, free or paid, read reviews, read the privacy policies and take the plunge. A paid VPN can lie to you about these policies just like a free VPN can, they can all record logs and sell user information behind your back. You just have to trust them at some point so I'd go with the larger more reputable companies like VPNDirect over Privitize VPN. In some places they now require ISP's to keep logs for up to 2 years, so it's best to get a VPN that doesn't keep any logs at all, this way if the Gov comes to your ISP looking for log data all they will see is that your using a VNP ( which will have no logs) and all your links/data will be encrypted thanks to Https Everywhere forcing you to use secure sites.

Best thing you can do I'm told is use two VPNs or a combo of Tor and a VPN. Since Tor is so slow, perhaps use a good free vpn in conjunction with the above mentioned I2P. I haven't tried this with I2P yet but am looking into it. The main thing is you want to be sure all data that your ISP gets is routed through a VPN and is using encrypted sites. This makes you much harder to track and since everything is encrypted, the Gov would have to suspect you of wrongdoing then spend time and money to decrypt the information then get the proof from the VPN ( which they cant do if they dont keep logs). They aren't likely to go through all that trouble for the regular Joe unless you hack a government computer or a bank.

I would also suggest Not to seed torrents. I know this sounds counter productive but seeding torrents can get you looked at long and hard and you don't want that. There are plenty of seeders that do have way more secure systems than the regular computer user who are prepared for such an eventuality. If you can't be 100% sure you are this secure, it's not worth the risk by taking the chance.  

I'm no expert and am kinda new to this VPN stuff myself only having been researching this stuff for a few months. If any of my info is incorrect I'd appreciate the correction and discussion.

Edited by Dark Phoenix, 28 September 2012 - 08:54 AM.

• thelivingdead, peacejunky, Ne12 and 1 other like this

#8 bavel

bavel

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

are you serious?!?!
its a fucking virus!!
regardless with the toolbar issue,
they are injecting ads to the user browser (FF,CH,IE)
and they add all kind of unwanted programs and extensions without the user approval!
my advise is to stay away from PRIVITIZE VPN
  • farmfield likes this

#9 sill

sill

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

i have used Privitize VPN and had no problems at all,
so my experience is that you can use it without a problem!
i have not experienced any injecting ads or unwanted programs and extensions,
it works for me using for torrents,
its a bit slow butt its free
only problem is that its not stable , some days it just don't work.

#10 Veganize

Veganize

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

I registered to this forum just to reply here..

I have been using Privitize VPN for a couple of weeks, and I can verify that it does work and you can choose whether or not to install the adware (just uncheck the box during the installation process).

It is all good and well, but it opens up your internet connection to everyone else on the VPN. I've just had about $100 of phone calls made through my VOIP service (all within the space of 50mins), and am now in the process of changing user names, passwords etc with my ISP to make sure that my connection is secure.

So while Privitize VPN does serve its purpose as a means of hiding your IP address, it is also an open door to your network for anyone else connected to the VPN.

Use at your own risk :)
  • Ne12 likes this

#11 Harrier

Harrier

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast of California

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

I started with Spotflux about a month or so ago. I go through them when going to all the sites that I use to stream or download. It works good for me with only a small noticeable amount of slow down which is no great problem really.

http://www.spotflux.com

#12 miz

miz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hi, as I've started to look myself for a free VPN service, I bumped into this US based provider
Super VPN Service
They obviously have fee-based plans, but I was really impressed by their clear statement on privacy on their website, where they maintain not to log any traffic, but just access to their servers.
I will give their free offer a try to see how they cope with torrenting, In fact, although they have a "Torrent VPN" plan, they also hint at the possibility of torrenting in their free product
Certainly ,they say they will give unlimited amount of traffic :-)
Also apprently, the service is usable with iphone/android devices.
Hope it will be interest to this community if I report my findings.

Edited by miz, 11 February 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#13 guise

guise

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

jesauce......

all these first time posters for this one.

get vidalia to use TOR. like merc said it will suck for large file transfers.

keep in mind.... you're trying to do something shady, hence you're more susceptible to being scammed/taken for a ride

** if you've enjoyed this post you can send me some BTC: 1NaC3eSZeiqLmkjpXVqu2Ci9yYczcBZJir **
  • Merciless likes this
** if you've enjoyed this post you can send me some BTC: 1guiseGDFZ35zdYnZQLNPhgwytWfw3PK7 **
** it's probably better to msg me i don't check the forums all that much **

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solved, VPN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users