Sign in to follow this  
Bella

'Need kidney': Elderly man's mission to find donor for his wife

Bella

A desperate 74-year-old Utah man has donned a sandwich board and taken to the streets to find a kidney donor for his ailing wife.

Wayne Winters embarked on his search for a donor earlier this week, on behalf of his wife of 26 years, Deanne, who was diagnosed with stage 5 kidney failure,local broadcaster Fox 13 reports.

“She's on dialysis and she doesn't like it, it's horrible,” Mr Winters said.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F10%2F21%2F09%2F35%2F171021_KidneyHunt2.jpg

“I didn't know what to do. I felt like I needed to do something.”

Mr Winters, whose board reads “need kidney A- 4 wife”, said he is optimistic of his chances of a suitable donor seeing the board and contacting him.

He told Fox 13 that within the first day of walking he was approached by a man who said was willing to check and see if he and Deanne were a match.

While Mr Winters is yet to hear back from the man, he is determined to continue searching in the meantime.

“After I get a kidney I will have my wife back the way she was – normal, helping people, loving people,” he said.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/10/21/08/37/elderly-mans-mission-to-find-donor-for-his-wife

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

justLiz

Man who walked thousands of miles to find a kidney for wife finally gets a match

A man who walked for miles each day in a bid to find his wife a kidney has been rewarded after she finally received a match.

Wayne Winters, 74, wore a sandwich board for weeks as he wandered around his home town of Farr West, Utah,  in the hope of finding someone to donate an organ to his wife, Deanna, who has stage five kidney failure. It read: “Need Kidney A- 4 Wife”, along with a phone number for people to contact. On the back, it said: “1,000 kidneys needed in Utah/Idaho.”

After many miles, a match has now been found for Ms Winters, almost two years after she was diagnosed with the illness.

The couple, who have been married for 26 years, received the long-awaited call over the weekend. 

“I was just so overwhelmed," Mr Winters told the Fox13 news channel. "I didn’t know what to think.” 

The kidney was donated by someone who had died and Ms Winters is now recovering from the transplant operation in hospital. 

• Like 2

huntbch

I would sell a kidney if the price was right. :thinking:

• Like 1

Bella

I have would as well if it was to help someone

Also be there for any family member and hope one was a match